Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Aggrevation

Today I went to the Home Depot to pick up a couple of thing that I needed for the yard and was once again annoyed to see plant material available for sale that either not meant for this part of the country or out way to soon cause it's still too cold out for it.

I love home improvement stores, I can walk through one for hours. But they do the same thing that every garden center and nursery does, just worse. They tell people that they know all about plants and what they are selling, but the sell the wrong thing. Shrubs, trees and perennials that are not hardy in this zone. And my real aggravation right now is all of the flowers that they had out. It is early spring in Chicago. We are not going to be frost free for at least a month. They had large vegetable plants out, summer annuals, and perennials in bloom that shouldn't bloom till July.

I think that this is one of the reasons that most people feel like they can't grow anything. They buy the wrong material or at the wrong time and can't figure out why it fails. I just wish that some store somewhere would take the high road and set the example for everyone else and actually do the right thing for the consumer.

I have realized that this is also part of my aggravation with some of my clients at work. They ask why I don't have a lot of different options for spring and my answer is that spring flowers are quite limited. But when they go to the store or talk to lower quality contractors that will say anything for a buck, they see all of these other options and think that I am trying to force them into something or lying to them. When actually I am trying to do the right thing. All that I can really say to this is "ugh". I will just keep doing what I know is best and let people who insist on it learn the hard way. Sad really, but nothing I can do about it.

No comments: