Monday, February 16, 2009

Is it pink or purple?

Quick background here . . . I have one of my full time seasonal color employees that works with me at my office and we collaborate with the two designers on staff a lot. We help eachother a lot by just talking things through and getting eachother's opinions. We work a lot with color and combining colors and just a lot of collaboration.

Anyway, today one of our designers was working on a project and had shown me a plant that I didn't really have any experience with. Well the lady that works for me is a perennial flower guru and knows them all. So they two of them were talking and we were pulling up pictures online and trying to figure out some others plants that would accent this one well in a garden.


The conversation got funny and I realized that anyone listening in would probably think that we were a bunch of loons. We were discussing how pink/purple this flower is. After a long discussion the consensus was it is more pink than a purple but more purple than a pink. Not fuschia, still purple, but a purple with pink tones and not blue tones. I am thinking that I might need to send a request to the people at crayola to ask them to come up with a nifty one to two word name for this color.

If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.


By the way, the name of the plant is Stachys officinalis 'Hummelo'.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

If the blossom is in the sun it's more pink. If the blossom is in the shade, it's more purple. I see both colors. If I had to pick the stronger color, say if I were painting them and I'm looking for what color to mix into, purple would be my winner. I liked this post!

Jenn Hansen said...

I would recommend buying a large box of crayons and finding the one that is closest.

Christa Jeanne said...

Hmmmm... that's a toughie! It really is in between. However, if I had to choose, I'd say purple. I can visualize a crayon that's a similar color - it does, in fact, exist - but I can't for the life of me think of what it's called. Either way, it sure is lovely. Good luck!

Suzanna H. said...

I would echo what Cristall said. I mean, when a flower is labeled as Rose-Lavender in color, what else do you expect?